HELLO 2020!! it was december 31, 2019 at 12:03am when my friend tiffany (@readbytiffany) suggested we start a book club. and soon, the next few hours became a flurry of non-stop brainstorming and planning and MAKING IT HAPPEN in time for the new year – despite our chaotic last minute selves. but combine a virgo sun (her) with a capricorn moon (me) and you have THIS !!!!
HELLO SUBTLE ASIAN BOOK CLUB 🤩
(side note: you don’t have to be asian to join. it’s just focused on asian stories and/or authors.)
do you have any idea how excited i am !!!!?!! i didn’t know how excited i was. previously, i was a moderator for @bibliophileacademy (shoutout if u remember those days~) but i still felt like i had no experience in starting an online book club. what does it even mean? i think i was trying to overcomplicate it. really, it’s this:
- each month, admins (aka tiffany and i) will host of poll of five potential books for a community vote, resulting in one book of the month pick.
- once voting closes, we’ll give members a week to get their books.
- we’ll provide suggested chapters to read each week, but you can choose to read at your own pace. we’ll post weekly threads for you to discuss with other members.
- the last sunday of each month, we’ll post ten discussion questions where everyone can share & discuss their thoughts !!
- WE READ DIVERSE BOOKS.
pretty simple. I’M HYPED.
it wasn’t until the group became a REAL THING and members started to TALK TO ONE ANOTHER did i realize how cool this would be. for a while, i grew out of touch with reading and didn’t think i’d ever go back to my enthusiastic 12-year-old-self. but now? GIMME ALL THE BOOKS. maybe it’s the new year; maybe it’s this book club. reading everyone’s positive responses makes me go 🥺.
best of all: we’re promoting diverse reads! if this group becomes something that *actually* makes people get back into reading and reading books by asian authors, i wouldn’t know what to do with myself. probably just cry.
okok enough about my *feelings*. let’s talk about the FIRST BOOK OF THE MONTH. drumroll pleeeeeeeaaaaase.
TO ALL THE BOYS I’VE LOVED BEOFRE, by Jenny Han
this was a pretty easy choice because 1) it’s a house favorite, 2) has gotten asian literature back into mainstream, along with Crazy Rich Asians and, 3) the netflix film is the CUTEST and its sequel is coming out next month!!! we going to be READY.
here’s the reading schedule:
- 1/1 – 1/4: Chapters 1 to 12
- 1/5 – 1/11: Chapters 13 to 29
- 1/12 – 1/18: Chapters 30 to 44
- 1/19 – 1/25: Chapters 45 to 59
- 1/26 – 1/31: Chapters 60 to 72
okay, i’m gonna be REAL HONEST here: i actually wasn’t planning on (re)reading this with everyone (i know, i’m a FRAUD but wait). my month is going to really busy and i wasn’t sure if i’d have time for it. BUT. that’s all changed because seeing the comments discussing it already has me reaching for my copy. you best bet i’ll be throwing the book across the room when i finish it again! :DDD