i’ve been in a bit of a blogging and reading slump this past month as i haven’t been inspired to do anything, really. december is surprisingly anticlimactic; it’s mostly been me trying to finish school, cleaning my room, occasionally dancing, and more recently, baking. i’ve never baked or cooked or done anything in the kitchen before, but i was in a ~mood~ and decided to look up some pinterest recipes and WOW pinterest is a strong motivator.
honestly, i think this all started when i reread TO ALL THE BOYS I’VE LOVED BEFORE (for a book i gave three-stars, i sure talk about it a lot). the main character, lara jean song, is an avid baker and her cookies made me crave… cookies. and baking. so when i was creating my board (on pinterest) of cookies i planned on baking this winter, i didn’t realize i was recreating my own version of lara jean’s christmas cookie bonanza. anyway, COOOOKIES.
i used this pinterest recipe to make my own spin on peppermint crunch christmas cookies.
recipe by kim lee, with alterations by moi (alexandra)
prep time: 15 min
cook time: 15 min
total time: 30 min
serves: 45 cookies (but i ended up with 29 cookies, so i dunno)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp of peppermint extract
- 2 ¼ cups of flour (i used whole wheat)
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 oz cup of peppermint kisses
- beat butter and sugars in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- blend in eggs, vanilla, and peppermint extract.
- add flour, baking soda, salt, and peppermint kisses. blend, blend, blend.
- pre-heat the oven at 350 degrees F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- scoop tablespoonfuls of dough onto the baking sheet, ~1 inch apart as the cookies will spread
- bake for 9 – 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. cool on baking sheets, then cook completely.